Join AllTrails in 2019 on a new and exciting adventure to New Zealand!
Starting in Picton at the top of the South Island we will make our way down the spectacular West Coast, take a train journey on the world famous TranzAlpine over to Christchurch for a rest day, then cycle over the Southern Alps and continue down the West Coast taking in some magical landscapes and locations such as The Pancake Rocks, Hokitika, Franz Joseph Glacier, Wanaka and Queenstown where we finish the ride. Arrive a few days early to take advantage of the beautiful Marlborough Sounds and world-renowned wine region or stay a few days after the tour to soak up Queenstown and surrounds. For the thrill seekers try a bungee jump or Shot-over Jet Boat ride. For a more relaxed approach, a Milford Sound Day Tour is right at your doorstep or take the Gondola 450 metres above Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu to the top of Bob’s Peak, where you’ll enjoy the best views in the region unfolding before your eyes (don’t miss the luge ride at the top!).
This tour will have the perfect mix of cycling and sightseeing with 4 rest days in the best locations on the route. There is no better way to experience such a dramatically beautiful and varied landscape as doing it on two wheels, with the famous AllTrails support and camaraderie. The full tour will be 19 days in duration although we do have shorter options of 8 or 12 days for those short on time.
THE TOUR AT A GLANCE
Dates: 18 February – 8 March 2019
Duration: Full tour: 19 days Short tour options: 8 or 12 days
Distance: 1,085km approximately
Average Daily: 84km approximately
Bike Type: Road Bike is best (BYO or hire)
Terrain: Good bitumen roads
Group Size: 15 - 25
Difficulty Rating: 7/10 (a few hills and a few 100km+)
Accommodation: 3 to 4 star hotels/motels
Meals: All included except rest days
Some highlights of this tour are:
• Picton start – beautiful harbour town of the Marlborough Sounds
• Marlborough Wine Region
• Nelson – sunniest region in NZ
• Hidden gems – St Arnaud & Murchison
• Punakaiki Pancake Rocks & Blowholes
• TranzAlpine World-Renowned Train Journey
• Christchurch rest day and short option stopover
• Hokitika rest day – vibrant art, culture and heritage
• Opportunity to make your own Kiwi bone-carving
• Spectacular West Coast scenery
• Franz Joseph Glacier rest day
• Wanaka rest day – natural wonderland & vibrant township
• Shotover Jet – an optional adrenaline hit (when in Rome…)
• Queenstown finish (too many things to list here!)
If you have any further questions regarding the New Zealand South Island Tour, please feel free to contact us.