Two beautiful Rail Trails linked by quiet country lanes.
Road, Rail and Sea – these were the traditional modes that comprised an integrated transport system for the movement of people and freight. And for a small state with a history of gold rushes, manufacturing, fertile soils and condensed population, economic prosperity gave rise to an extensive rail and road network to support the seamless transport of people and goods to market. Over time, our reliance on these modes waned and their purpose reassigned. And just as Victoria is now truly blessed when it comes to outstanding Rail Trails, so too is the availability of a plethora of minor roads and country lanes…
THE TOUR AT A GLANCE
Dates: 8-14 September 2019 (Sunday to Saturday)
Duration: 6 nights. 6 ride days
Average Daily: 53km
Bike Type: Hybrid preferred, Mountain Bike. BYO or hire.
Tyres should be semi off-road, min 30mm wide
(good tour for e-bike)
Surface: Hard-packed gravel trails, dirt and bitumen back-roads (ok for hybrids)
Terrain: Flat to undulating, 1 optional climb
Group Size: Small group tour, usually 10-15
Difficulty Rating: 4/10
Accommodation: 3-4 star country motels and unique properties
Meals included: 6 bfast, 5 dinners, 1 lunch + most morning teas
Some highlights of this tour:
• Very little traffic, gentle terrain
• Longer and shorter ride options (or take a day off!)
• Full-time support, mechanical help, cafe & picnic recommendations
• Vehicle back-up for transferring luggage, bikes and cyclists if required
• Great camaraderie in a small group of like-minded characters
• Excellent accommodation (pools, central locations, WiFi, history)
• All dinners included except one
• All breakfasts included fuelling you up for a day on the bike
• Towns and settlements along the way offer great places to explore
• Galleries, museums, bakeries, shopping and markets
• Magnificent scenery; forests, rivers, lakes & ranges
• Farmed and native animals
• Historical railway stations alongside the trails
• The blissful quiet; only the sound of your bike on the trail and the birds in the trees
The AllTrails Rail Trail Tour featured in the Herald Sun Weekend Travel Editorial.
If you have any further questions regarding the Rail Trails and Country Lanes Tour, please feel free to contact us.